How to have a more productive morning
If we’ve heard it once, we’re heard it a million times: the morning is the most important time of day to get yourself set up for success and start your day off on a good note. But let’s face it, not all of us are morning people. If you struggle to feel motivated in the a.m., you’re not alone. Here are a few tips to help you start off your day with a roaring start.
- Plan ahead: You can’t expect to see any significant changes in your morning if you don’t have a game plan. Before you go to bed, pack your lunch for the next day, clean up your room, and lay out your clothes. You’ll set yourself up for success — and less stress!
- Wake up earlier — but do it gradually: A lot of people agree that their day would start off stronger if they woke up earlier and accomplished a few things before heading to work. But if you want to wake up much earlier than you’re getting up now, you have to get your body gradually used to the change. Set your alarm clock 15 minutes earlier every day for a week. The next week, set it another 15 minutes earlier, and so on and so forth until you reach the desired wake-up time. If you try to get up an hour and a half early all of a sudden, your body won’t be too happy about it and you likely won’t succeed.
- Drink lemon water: It’s important to hydrate your body in the morning before you do anything else. Drink a tall glass of lemon water when you first get up. This alkalizes your system and cleanses out your gut so you can feel energized and ready for your first meal.
- Move your body: Whether it’s a few stretches or a walk around the block, fitting in some movement first thing in the morning will help you feel your very best. If you can fit in a workout, even better! But it’s not necessary to go hard at the gym. Just do whatever you can to get the blood flowing.
- Have some quiet time: Take away 5 minutes of your morning to sit with yourself and set your intention for the day. This could be a meditative practice or simply a few minutes in silence with no phone or computer. You’ll be surprised at how much more calm you feel when you give yourself this gift in the a.m.